Sunday, September 12, 2010

Experiment #5: Micchami Dukkadem

"The [poorest people] in the slums don't have money for food, but they always have money for celebration,"Ajaybhai told me the other day. At the time I thought he was joking...

Yesterday was an incredible day in India -- Three different celebrations from three different religions fell on the same day.

Muslims celebrated Eid, the last day of Ramzan (Ramadan). Hindus celebrated Ganesh Chaturthi, the birthday of the elephant-headed god Ganesh. And Jains celebrated Samvatsari, the end of Paryushana.

Walking down the streets of Ram Rahim Tekro, one of the slums which Manav Sahdna is involved in, I would never have guessed that Hindu-Muslim conflicts have plagued this country for more than 50 years. Muslim boys and girls, dressed in shiny new clothes, were hugging each other and saying, "Eid Mubarak!" And beside them, Hindu boys and girls were pushing a statue of Ganesh down the middle of the road and singing wildly. Later that day, I got an email from my dad wishing me "Michchhami Dukkadem", (which literally means "forgive me for all my bad deeds") and reminding me how much he loves me.

It was a day for sharing festivities and sharing love openly.

In the Manav Sadhna building, there is a poster that lists several of the religions represented in India (Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism, Christianity- just to name a few) and highlights a single letter in the name of each to spell out "Indians". The bottom of the poster reads, "Build bridges, not barriers". Watching the celebrations in the city gave me an image to associate with this idea.

With all of the happiness and love permeating the city, I almost forgot that yesterday was also September 11th. I hope all of the prayers imparted in Ahmedabad and the rest of the country, gave some peace to the families and loved ones of those who were lost 9 years ago.

1 comment:

  1. Behny, Micchami Dukkadam. Mom and I are proud; and love you very much. - Dad

    ReplyDelete